Friday, September 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad

Happy Birthday Dad.  I hope you had a great day.  Thanks for all you do for me.  Here are some thoughts and memories I have:

  • My favorite memory is when I was little and went with you when you were looking for a job.  I felt very important.  I remember that we got to eat in some cafeteria too.
  • I always liked riding on your shoulders.  I don't remember exactly when I got too big for you to carry me anymore.
  • I loved it when you coached my soccer teams.  You did a great job.  It means a lot to me that you cared enough to spend time to do that.  I'll always remember the year that we took 1st place fall and spring, and won the Commissioner's Cup.  And that we were undefeated except for the game that I had to leave at halftime for some violin thing (and we ended up tying that game).  Even though you hadn't played a lot of soccer yourself, you were always prepared and made sure our team did well and had fun.  You were the best coach I had.  
  • I miss working out with you at the bubble.  That was a lot of fun.  And playing racquetball.  I'm glad that you have been able to work hard and get in shape.  It's neat that you can enjoy doing your races.
  • I remember one time before school (I think I was in 7th grade).  I was getting in trouble like usual, and you tried to whip me with a belt.  I was trying to get away, and you ended up getting me right across the face.  It left a pretty good welt.  I think you felt really bad about it.  When you were dropping me off at school, I asked if you had a dollar I could have.  You gave me one.  For the next while, when you would drop me off, I would usually ask for a dollar or some change so I could buy some candy or a soda.  You would always give me some.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that getting whipped in the face worked out pretty well for me.
  • I'm glad that you came on several camping trips with me for scouts and young mens.  Not a lot of dads came to stuff like that.  We had a lot of fun on those, and we made a lot of good memories.  I also remember how much everyone else loved you going camping with us too.  All of the young men enjoyed you being around.
  • You were always generous and giving to us.  I know we didn't have a lot when I was growing up.  Whenever we didn't have enough of something, you never hesitated to go without.  Whenever any of us asked you for something, you gave it to us.  You always wanted us to be happy and taken care of.
  • I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of stuff.  You taught me how to drive with your old silver Ford (with its touchy clutch), we wrestled and I ended up with stitches in the back of my head, hearing your stories of growing up by Bear Lake, etc.  Anyway, thanks for being my Dad.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You're so good at remembering things, Jason! I love reading your memories.

Ken - Tam said...

You do have a good memory. Thanks for all that you said.