Wednesday, May 19, 2010

To Death

Deffy,

I hope you have a good birthday today.  You're a good brother.  I'm glad that I get to spend time with you playing softball.  I'm glad that you've been able to play with us every year.  I like having you on the team.  You try your best every game, you never complain, and you give me blood. 

I have good memories of playing Hoop-It-Up with you for so many years.  We never did very well, but it was fun to try.  We are always the little guys taking on the big guys, even when we signed up for the under six-foot league.  It was also fun playing in the other basketball league.  We definitely didn't do well in that, but it was fun anyway.  My favorite game was the one where you got mad at the ref with me.  That made me happy.  You always play tough when you play basketball.  I could usually score against people that are around six feet or shorter pretty easily, but you always guarded me tough.  It was often a lot harder to score on you than on much taller people.  I remember one time you blocked my shot a couple of times in a game.  I wasn't even mad.

I miss playing golf like we used to too.  Golfing is fun.  We are golfers.  We should golf more.  Maybe when I get done with school next year. 

So, I don't know if you realize this, but you are the only sibling that I always got along with while we were growing up.  I fought with Mindy lots first, then Brenda later, and I teased Adam a lot and made him cry.  I liked having you around, especially because you would do anything I said.  You were my little slave for quite a long time.  You seemed to enjoy it too, so I don't think I should feel bad about it.  Even after you were too old to be my slave, I still liked hanging out with you.  It was fun going to a couple of concerts too.  Remember how mad Dad was when I took you to Tool with me?  You still turned out ok though.

You're a good man Gee-off.  You have many good qualities that I admire.  You're patient, even-tempered, you don't say bad things about people, and you don't complain.  All qualities that I lack.  I always wish that I was a better big brother, and that I was a better example.  I'm glad that you went on a mission even though I didn't.  I'm glad that you graduated from college even though I quit.  Obviously you didn't need me to show you what you should do.  Good job.  Happy birthday.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You're right on with Geoff's qualities. He's a good guy. :)

Geoff said...

I like to play softball. I didn't know i'd like it as much as i do. Its fun.

Hoop it up was good, like i told you last year, it might be fun to give it a try again, see if we do any better.
I had to watch you play for a long time before i knew your style well enough to even get lucky enough to time my jump just right and get a block on you. I do remember fouling you a whole lot too while guarding you.

I did like being your slave, i was a weird kid. At least Dad let me go to Boston with you, he didn't want me to go with you to that after Tool. Tool was a good concert, i had a good time. It was one of my favorite concerts.

I like Adam but i'm glad i have an older brother too who would play sports and teach me things. Stanks.
Love,
Death