Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Adam

Hey Adam.  I hope you have a great birthday today.  I would like to give you a small analysis of your life.  As a professional (I took a psychology class once), I feel that this might be beneficial for you.  Here it is: 

I bet it was hard for you, being the youngest in the family.  I don't know if you felt like you got any respect for anything.  We all played the violin, and you wanted to play too.  You didn't start out as fast as the rest of us at it, so you didn't get a lot of support to play.  But you kept playing anyway.  We all played sports, did lots of activities, and got good grades.  You didn't get to do as much as the rest of us.  You also cried very easily.  As your big brother, I made sure that I made you cry frequently.  I think for a while I made you cry on a daily basis.

I think, because of all of this, that you were determined to be successful in life.  You worked very hard practicing the violin for many years.  You got very good at it.  You worked hard at learning other instruments as well.  You worked harder than any of the rest of us in school.  You took math classes in high school that I've never even heard of.  You have carried that through college.  You have had a plan for what you have wanted to do, and you've done it.  You will probably be more successful careerwise than the rest of us.  Your effort with your education has been very impressive (but I still beat you on the ACT).   

You have always wanted to do what is right.  You worked very hard to prepare for your mission.  You saved your money for it.  You studied very hard, and you made sure you were spiritually prepared for it.  As a teenager, you never got distracted from your goal to go on a mission.  While on your mission, you were determined to be the best missionary you could be.  You were 100 percent committed to it.  You worked very hard, and loved the people you served.  You have carried that committment forward over the years that you have been back. 

And of course, you are determined to find a worthy spouse for yourself.  It is very impressive to me that you have understood the importance of this since before you started dating.  I have tried to teach my daughters the importance of dating people with the same standards as them, only dating in groups while they are young, not dating anyone exclusively until you are ready to think about getting married, and so on.  I wish they could be around you more to see your example of this.  You have never been interested in any dating situation that doesn't follow the plan you have for yourself.  Not many people can say that they have been that disciplined.  I know that you've been hurt in this area, and that not everything has worked out the way you planned.  You have done things the right way though, and that is important.  It will pay off for you.   

You have worked so hard in your life to be where you want to be.  You have worked so hard to be the best you could possibly be at everything you tried.  You have worked so hard at being the best person you could possibly be.  I think that this all goes back to what you experienced being the youngest in the family.  I think that, as your big brother and frequent tormenter, I played a part in that.  By teasing you and making you cry, I helped make you more determined to succeed.  You're welcome.


I hope you have found my analysis to be helpful.  You are a great person, Adam, and I hope you know that we all feel that.  I hope that, when you get done with school, we get to spend more time with you.  It has been hard not to be around you much.  I know you keep very busy with everything you are doing, and it's hard to juggle everything you want to do.  

I admire your committment, Adam.  I wish I could be as dedicated as you are.  I wish I could be as strong as you.  I look up to you, and admire your wisdom.  I think you are a good man, and you are a good brother.  

Jason 

No comments: